Wednesday, August 19, 2015

First Impression: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PC)

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD


I've been a long-time fan of Final Fantasy (FF) games ever since playing my first FF game, Final Fantasy VII, for the PlayStation way way back. I've always enjoyed the awesome CG cutscene animations, FMVs, and 3-D rendered graphics of the environment and characters. And let's not forget the spectacular story-line that makes an FF game truly magnificent.

But in recent years, I've opted to not own any next-gen consoles or any portable hand-held devices (aside from my iPhone) as I shifted my focus from being a console player to a PC player, thus missing out on most FF games. I've been out of the loop from most FF games because I thought to myself "why bother when I don't have any new consoles to play them from".

As I logged into Steam to play my daily dose of Dota 2, a wild Steam Update News appeared regarding a "new" (technically re-mastered or ported) FF game with a special pre-purchase in-game special for Dota 2.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

How can I say no to both games I love? Without hesitation, I pre-purchased them and here's my thoughts of the game.

As soon as the game was released and ready to download, I was taken aback by the huge file size, roughly 26 GB, I needed to download before I could enjoy the game. Living in the part of the world known for having one of the slowest internet speeds, it was pure agony as I waited for the game to finish downloading. Well, I didn't really waited that long, I just left my computer running overnight. But whatever.

As soon as I woke up, I fired up the game right as I jumped out of bed. No breakfast, no shower, nothing.

Like most games I play, I always dabbled with the menus, options, and settings before I start the game. Not long, I realized that there is an option for controller support for the game. Makes me wonder, do I really need to play this game with a controller?

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

The game starts with an introductory FMV of the game's plot and how the conflict arose.

Although the FMV looks stunning, it didn't meet my expectation of a next-gen game. Well, it's not really a next-gen game since it's only a re-master of a 2011 game but still, there is something to improve upon.

Below are some sample shots from the short intro video:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HDFinal Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

The starting menu screen looks simple and clean.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Upon starting the game, I noticed that it's not your typical FF game where there is a cute character living in a magical world but instead something atypical of most if not all FF game; dark tone, conflict, violence. The scene shows the current situation of their once majestic city. Chaos runs rampant, tearing everything asunder. Blood and more blood ensued. I guess there is no such thing as more blood in this game. Fantastic!

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

The protagonist is handsome and good-looking as fuck (no homo), but damn those are the most ugly set of hands I've ever seen in my life.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

My first taste of game play is after the death of the guy in red hood with his chocobo Chichiri. You start out in a party of three which you can interchange as you go along, controlling one main character and the AIs control the other two.

Controls are very difficult, difficult in a sense that I play with a keyboard and there is no option to rebind keys. As with most action games made for a console or a portable hand-held device, it makes sense that they are best played with controllers for ease of gameplay. But whatever, I can't be fucked buying a controller for just one game. I guess I just need to get used to it.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Final Fantasy Type-0 HDFinal Fantasy Type-0 HD
Every now and then, the FMVs and in-game scenes are replaced by stills or artworks along with narrations, which I feel is a great change of scenery from the usual CGI clips that we get to see. They look pretty impressive.










The in-game HUD is pretty straight forward, HP bar in blue, MP bar in yellow and keys for using skills as shown below. Also, the red crystal infront is used for saving the game.


Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

As with most typical JRPG or any other Japanese game, BOOBS. You can never have enough boobs. Period.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Final Fantasy Type-0 HDCharacter models and the environment are both equally stunning. Look at those clouds, they look so real, real enough to eat. Below, the main building looks huge and grand. Perfect backdrop for a great community.









And can we ever forget the ever-so-popular cutie patootie moogle??? They're everywhere!!!

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

This is no FF game without eidolons. Presenting, the great ODIN!

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

I've yet to play through the rest of the game. So here's some Dota 2 in-game items bundled with the steam promo instead consisting of the Chocobo courier and Moogle ward. Also, below it is the loading screen that comes along with the bundle.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

For the discounted price I paid for the game as well as getting the in-game items for Dota 2, I'm pretty satisfied, I guess. I hope the story line and replayability of this Final Fantasy won't disappoint me.


No comments :

Post a Comment